Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

In his Aug. 7 reflector email below, Takai-san asked about 10G cost during the early stage of deployment. We realized that such data could offer excellent insight into 40G optics costs so we dug up a 2003 Ovum RHK report with early OC-192 costs.

In the enclosed graph, we plotted OC-192 SR-1 300-pin 10G data from Ovum RHK together with 10GBASE-LR XAUI data from Lightcounting (both relative to 2000 OC-192 SR-1 cost.) To the same graph, we added OC-768 VSR 300-pin 40G data from Lightcounting and 40GE-Serial cost projections from traverso_02_0708 (both relative to 2005 OC-768 VSR cost.)

Takai-san’s intuition that OC-192 10G cost dropped dramatically in the early stage turned out to be correct; the drop was 3x in 3 years. Interestingly, OC-768 40G cost in its early stage mirrored this dramatic drop, falling by 2.5x in 3 years.

The data further shows that the first 10GBASE-LR XAUI modules in 2004 were a substantial >2x cost reduction in two years, from the cost of OC-192 SR-1 10G modules in 2002.

However, this historical 10G >2x cost drop is dwarfed by the enormous >10x cost drop projected in traverso_02_0708 for the first 40GE-Serial modules in 2010 from the cost of OC-768 VSR modules in 2008.

In fact this projected initial 40G >10x cost drop in 2 years is so dramatic that today 10GBASE-LR XAUI modules have not yet dropped this much from the cost of OC-192 SR-1 10G modules in 2002; the 10G cost drop has been about 6x in the last 6 years.

802.3ba Task Force would be well served next week not to rely on such hugely optimistic 40GE-Serial cost projections when considering proposals for the 40GE 10km SMF PMD baseline.

Chris