Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the insightful questions in your Sept. 10 email; they are helpful in clarifying the data.

In my Sept. 8 email, I plotted OC-192 SR-1 only until 2003 because I was making apples to apples cost comparison of the first three years of OC-192 (2000 to 2003) and OC-768 (2005 to 2008) shipments. In the initial years, OC-192 was based on 300-pin form factor using 16:1 SerDes technology. However around 2003, OC-192 rapidly transitioned to XFP form factor using CDR ICs (no SerDes, i.e. true 10G I/O serial technology.) Since OC-768 is still based on 300-pin form factor using 16:1 SerDes technology, we wanted to look only at comparable OC-192 data.

As per your request, the Ovum RHK OC-192 SR-1 data is extended below to 2007. In later year reports, Ovum does not separate the cost of 300-pin and XFP based modules; they just give the aggregate cost of all OC-192 units. XFP represented a dramatic technology shift in 2003 for OC-192 by eliminating 16:1 SerDes ICs and fiber pig tail OSAs in a much smaller form factor. XFP is a much more dramatic technology change then the proposed 40GE-Serial modules which will use both 4:1 SerDes ICs and fiber pig-tailed OSAs (internally.) That is why the graph in my Sept. 8 email showing OC-192 300-pin 16:1 SerDes technology followed by XAUI 4:1 SerDes technology is a better analogy to what we can expect for OC-768 transition to 40GE-Serial.

However, the extended Ovum data offers other insights. It shows what kind of cost drop we can expect from the introduction of a dramatic new technology. The transition to XFP dropped OC-192 SR-1 cost by an additional factor of 2x in 2003. This significantly increased the aggregate cost drop to 6x from 2000 (i.e. in the first three years.) Afterwards, OC-192 SR-1 continued on a typical high volume optics cost reduction curve.

Also as per your request, the Lightcounting OC-768 data is extrapolated with the exact Ovum OC-192 relative cost data. This is done in two ways; one with 2007 as starting point and second with 2008 as starting point. In the graph, all 10G data is normalized to 2000 OC-192 cost, and all 40G data is normalized to 2005 OC-768 cost.

Here are the conclusions from the OC-192 SR-1 cost data:

  1. The cost decline of OC-192 and OC-768 SerDes based 300-pin modules in the first three years of shipment are similar, >3x cost drop for OC-192 and 2.5x cost drop for OC-768. This makes OC-192 a good historical analogy to use in 40GE discussion.
  2. A dramatic shift from SerDes and fiber pig-tailed OSA based 300-pin technology to CDR based receptacle OSA XFP technology gave OC-192 modules an additional factor of 2x cost drop in 2003. We should expect similar ~2x cost drop boosts from future dramatic technology shifts; NOT 10x.
  3. The cost projections by 40GE-Serial proponents are a factor of ~3x more aggressive then predicted by even the best case (i.e. transitioned to XFP) OC-192 SR-1 historical cost data. This makes these cost projections a poor basis for making standards decisions.

(The historical comparison of 1GE to 10GE data you requested can be found on page 7 of cole_04_0708. Also, if you are wondering about the time stamp of this email, I am not writing this on a Saturday night in California, but rather on Sunday while stuck in a typhoon in Taiwan.)

Chris