Re: [802.3BA] 802.3ba XR ad hoc next step concern

At 11:25 AM 10/21/2008 , Bruce Tolley wrote:
Geoff and Steve,

For customers wanting TP links further than 100 meters, I thought we pointed them to ISO 11801 and TIA568B which recommend fiber :)) for such runs.

I agree.

Geoff

Bruce

From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:gthompso@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:40 AM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] 802.3ba XR ad hoc next step concern

At 06:35 PM 8/25/2008 , Swanson, Steven E wrote:
What should we tell our customers who have link lengths longer than 100m and want (or require) a standardized solution?

We should tell them the same thing that we tell our twisted pair customers.

That would be that their market is not large enough to:
  - Warrant a separate solution in the standard.
  - Burden the 100 meter solution with the extra costs required to meet their needs

There is nothing terrible or onorous about this. A line has to be drawn for all volume products. For passenger automobiles, the standard is clearly 5 passengers. Does a car salesman have to make excuses that the bulk of his product line only has a 5 passenger capacity? Of course not. Do some car companies think they can make money with larger vehicles? Of course.