From:   Zabinski, Patrick [mailto:zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Monday, December 21, 2009 08:36 AM Eastern Standard Time
To:     STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        [802.3BA] question on line card interface

I would appreciate it if someone could help steer me in the right
direction.

We are working toward a system that can accommodate different 100 GbE
line cards to support different applications.  Within the draft 802.3ba
spec, what interface is intended between such line cards and the main
system?

I'm assuming CAUI.  Is that correct?

If CAUI is the intended interface, how do I learn about the interface
protocol?  I was able to download an early draft several months ago
(P802.3ba D2.0, 12 Mar 2009).  It includes the electrical-signal details
for CAUI (i.e., voltages, edge rates, etc.), but I cannot find details
on the protocol - such as handshaking, data striping across the
channels, etc.  I tried downloading the latest draft spec (D3.0, Nov
2009), but I cannot retrieve it from IEEE Xplore, so I'm not sure if the
details I want are in there or not.  Do such details exist in the latest
spec, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks,
Pat Zabinski

Principal Engineer

Special Purpose Processor Development Group (SPPDG)

Phone: 507-538-5499

E-mail: zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx <mailto:zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>

Mayo Clinic | 200 First Street SW | Rochester, MN 55905 |
www.mayoclinic.org <http://www.mayoclinic.org/>