Re: [802.3_MAINT] summary of MAC interface issues

Brad,

> The MAC Client doesn't need to know when the TransmitFrame function can
> perform the requested operation.

If MAC Client doesn't know when the TransmitFrame function can perform the requested operation, the MAC Client may issue another MA_DATA.request immediately after the previous MA_DATA.request.

I am trying to understand what would happen if (a) the state machine works as you described (i.e., it comes back to waiting for .request immediately) and (b) MAC Client sends the second MA_DATA.request while the MAC is still sending the previous frame. Looking at the state machine in Figure 4-6, it appears that the second call to TransmitFrame function will be made before previous call has completed.

But the section 4.2.8 says: The TransmitFrame operation is synchronous. Its duration is the entire attempt to transmit the frame; when the operation completes, transmission has either succeeded or failed, as indicated by the TransmitStatus status code.

What is the correct behavior when the TransmitFrame is called second time before the previous call has completed? Should the TransmitFrame function ignore all calls while it is busy, or should it buffer a new frame with every call until it can send the frame?

Glen