From: owner-stds-802-3-maint@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-maint@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Shimon Muller
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:07 PM
To: STDS-802-3-MAINT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_MAINT] summary of MAC interface issues

 > Is this behavior derived from Pascal?

No. TransmitFrame is a function and it does not return instantaneously.
The execution stalls until the function returns.

The fundamental problem that we have here is a contradiction between
state machine conventions that indicate that actions is a state are in
order but instantaneous, and the use of Pascal as one of the actions
that is not instantaneous.

Shimon.

Glen Kramer wrote:
> Brad,
>
> Since, according to your earlier post, the call to TransmitFrame
returns instantaneously (i.e., it is "timeless") and MA_DATA.request
takes no time as well, MAC Client can issue a large number of requests
during transmission of a single frame.

> What I understand you say is that some of those frames will find
enough space in MAC buffer and will eventually be transmitted. Other
frames, unlucky ones, will see a full buffer and will be dropped by the
MAC.

> Is this behavior derived from Pascal?
>
> How would MAC Client know which frames got dropped?
>
> Glen

WAIT_FOR_TRANSMIT.