Re: [802.3_MAINT] Interpretation Request 1-11/09 Uploaded to Interpretation Web Area

Wael:

I got something very different from the interpretation request than did Geoff.  I think this is much more rooted in recent history than Goeff does.

In my opinion, it will take creativity to answer much of this interpretation request, because so much of it is simply a request for consulting.  Though its clearly written by people that have put some effort into research to understand the standard, they didn’t approach the learning like someone trying to implement the standard would.  For example, a concise, centralized description of IPG for someone writing a service level agreement was not an objective when writing the standard.

The request does highlight some things I believe are faults or deficiencies in the standard.  Fixing a couple of those by preparing a change request (that our interpretation response could point to) might improve understanding in the area of IPG.  I do though think we will have to admit a defect in the standard because of this request.  Many of the consultation questions we can’t answer in a request for interpretation, and the fact that they are trying to extrapolate all of this to an ITU OTN implementation makes it all the more difficult.  I had to wonder if the concern was really about IPG, or was the real issue interframe spacing (especially for 1000BASE-X).  Had it been a liaison request, it would have been much easier to provide some of the consulting (we do that for other standards groups).

As you probably recall, we partially attacked this area of specification in P802.3as with improvements to the use of frame and packet (the definitions picked three decades ago and somewhat at odds with today’s more common usage in the broader industry), but in 802.3as, we chose to not go into improving many of the related gap descriptions.  So, I believe there is still room for improvement in use of terms especially where we use the wrong term.  As we have increased speeds and moved to block code based PCS sublayers, we haven’t done much to improve the clarity of what used to be much simpler.  At lower speeds, IPG and preamble didn’t change between transmitting MAC and the associated MDI.  That is no longer true.  The arcane knowledge Geoff talks about was mostly related to preamble, now the arcane knowledge is skewed to IPG.  Our growing list of speeds, more than byte-wide interfaces and PCS sublayers with more than byte-wide ordered sets makes more precise use of interPacketGap, Inter-Packet Gap (also interpacket gap), interFrameGap, interFrameSpacing and other terms more important.

I doubt the requesters see any difference between interPacketGap and Inter-Packet gap (as may have been true for some of our editors), yet I see a significant difference.  It is clear to me that interPacketGap is a MAC transmit parameter, a constant used to enforce minimum Inter-Packet Gap (IPG).  Most everyone quickly understands the actual space between packets can be larger than interPacketGap for various reasons (some described in Clause 4).  IPG can also shrink after the MAC generates it for various reasons, and the requesters seem to want that all explained in Clause 4 -- on that I disagree.  But I think we would do our readers a service by making it more clear that, interPacketGap is a constant, and Inter-Packet Gap is a variable (even when referring to a specific gap between two frames).

While it is quite clear to me that the 4.4.2 table specifies MAC parameters that are used elsewhere in Clause 4 and a few minutes looking makes it clear that interPacketGap is a constant only used in the transmit logic (question 1), a couple items might sidetrack one from that simple search.

First, the definition of Inter-Packet Gap (1.4.192) does not make it clear that IPG is something different than interPacketGap, because the examples used are interPacketGap values but not identified as such, nor does the definition help with where those example values would be measured.

Second, after a simple search, interPacketGap (38 used in 802.3-2008) is consistently used as a MAC transmit value, except for in the NOTEs that immediately follow the table where Inter-Packet Gap should have been used.  (The NOTEs are talking about IPG shrinkage as observed at the receive MII end of the link.)  Therefore, it would seem to me that a Change Request should:

  1. Decide if interpacket gap is different than Inter-Packet Gap and pick one style if so (I assume they are the same, and am using the latter), otherwise define the difference.
  2. In the NOTEs replace “interPacketGap” with Inter-Packet Gap.
  3. Consider if a similar change is appropriate for footnote a.
  4. Replace the last sentence of the definition of IPG (1.4.192) with:  “The minimum IPG generated by the CSMA/CD MAC is 96 bit times, but the IPG length may increase or decrease depending on clock tolerance, the speed of operation, physical layer characteristics and other factors. (Move the “see” references after the sentence.)”
  5. Add something about shrinkage to 4.2.3.2.2 like:  “When a transmitting and receiving DTE are operating at different clock rates, the Inter-Packet Gap allows for compensation between the clock rates without loss of frames.  For physical layers using continuous clocks, the IPG may increase or decrease in length as allowed by the physical layer specifications within this standard.  Certain physical layers may allow or require alignment of the packet or frame to an interface (e.g., XGMII) or the characteristics of the encoding used by the physical layer may require adjustment of a packet to an encoding boundary (e.g., 1000BASE-X), either resulting in an increase or decrease of an IPG.  The minimum spacing between two frames is dependent on the specific physical layer type.”

--Bob