Re: [802.3_MAINT] Interpretation Request 1-11/09 Uploaded to Interpretation Web Area

Wael:

I took this quite differently than did Geoff, and I think it will be difficult to provide any helpful response to most of the questions.  Mostly, the request is a request for consultation, but in looking at it, I found what I believe to be an error that should be fixed with a Change Request.  The requesters seem to want a summary of IPG peculiarities in Clause 4, that I disagree with.  I don’t think looking at older port types helps with the real question.  The arcane knowledge Geoff talks about is mostly related to preamble.  With later speeds, the arcane knowledge has moved to IPG.  In 1000BASE-X, preamble is converted to Idle to align to the two byte ordered set.  With the XGMII, the reconciliation sublayer adds and deletes IPG to align start of stream to the 32-bit word.  XGSX can add or delete a word of IPG for clock rate disparity compensation.  Consequently, IPG can shrink to as little as 5 bytes.  Much of this happens between the MAC and the MDI in the transmit path, so, it does now matter where one looks at IPG for compliance.

The request though is not clear that there is an understanding that other than clock rate disparity, IPG is simply being pushed from one IPG to another, something that probably would be significant for someone trying to write a OTN SLA (which seems to be what the requesters are worried about.)  This could probably be improved in the document.

When looking at the first question, I read the Table title, and it clearly indicates it is a MAC parameter.  Then I searched on interPacketGap, to see how it was used.  Consistently, that particular string is only used as a MAC transmit parameter except for in the footnotes to the table in 4.4.2.  The interpretation request writes about IPG, something that Clause 4 (e.g., 4.2.3.2.2) makes clear can be larger than interPacketGap, the minimum IPG.  They apparently tried to read the definition of Inter-Packet Gap (IPG) and it didn’t help them much.  I believe this is primarily because it doesn’t describe IPG as a variable, but rather uses examples that are interPacketGap minimum values.  The request gives no indication that the requesters understand there is a difference between the MAC parameter interPacketGap (a constant), and IPG, the actual Inter-Packet Gap transmitted.

The footnote and NOTEs to the table confuse things and I believe have an error.  They use the parameter name interPacketGap and talk about shrinkage.  It is Inter-Packet Gap that may grow or shrink, not the constant interPacketGap.  So, I believe it would be appropriate to fix 802.3, and generate a resonse that points to the Change Request proposing a fix.

  1. We are imprecise in the use of interPacketGap, interFrameSpacing, interFrameGap, interpacket gap and Inter-Packet Gap.  I believe we only need two of the four permutations of interpacket gap.  Pick them and fix to use consistently (at a minimum in the future).
  2. Replace interPacketGap with Inter-Packet Gap (or which ever spelling is used) in the NOTEs.
  3. Consider if interPacketGap in footnote a should be Inter-Packet Gap.
  4. Review usage of interFrameSpacing and interFrameGap to only use one of those two and make sure uses are consistent (preamble isn’t part of interpacket gap, but is part of interFrameSpacing).
  5. Replace the final sentence of the definition (1.4.192) with:  “Differences in clock rates between transmitting MAC and receiving MAC, as well as the characteristics of specific physical layers may increase or decrease the observed size of IPG from that at the transmitting MAC.
  6. Consider adding a paragraph to 4.2.3.2.2 to indicate variability of IPG and where it varies.  The IPG at the transmitting MAC may increase or decrease as it progresses through the transmit path of the transmitting DTE, or within the receiving DTE.  This may be done within a transmitting DTE to align with ordered sets used by the physical layer encoding (e.g., 1000BASE-X), or to align frame data to an interface (e.g., XGMII).  In addition, differences in clock rates (e.g., between the transmitting DTE and the receiving DTE) may cause the observed IPG to differ from that of the transmitting MAC.”

--Bob