Draft D1.2 is now available

Dear members of the IEEE 802.3.1 MIB task force,
and the IEEE 802.3 Maintenance task force,

IEEE Draft P802.3.1/D1.2 is now available for your
review at the following location:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/be/private/802dot3dot1d1_2.pdf

You will need the following username and password to
access the draft:

the username is: XXXXXXX
the password is: XXXXXXX

The password is case-sensitive.
Please do not distribute this username or password.
Please do not quote this message should you
choose to reply to the reflector.

For this draft, a comparison document has also been
produced. It is ugly, but may be helpful in identifying
the material that changed from the previous draft. The
comparison document can be found at the following location:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/be/private/802dot3dot1d1_2CMP.pdf

As with the last draft, the MIB module definitions are also
provided in the form of ASCII text files.  Links to the
ASCII files are embedded in the .pdf document. The directory
containing the ASCII files is not password protected.

Two significant changes were introduced in this draft. First,
we have attempted to update and change all references to the
base IEEE 802.3 standard throughout the text and the MIB module
definitions. Second, we have omitted (deleted) all of the
deprecated objects from the MIB module definitions and
reassigned the arcs accordingly.

The MIB task force will review the draft and all comments that
are submitted against it at our upcoming meeting on Tuesday,
January 26, 2010 in New Orleans. We would greatly appreciate
your review of the document in advance of the meeting, and we
ask that you submit your comments using the generic commenting
tool that can be found at the following location:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/be/private/Generic_Commenting_Tool.zip

Please email the file produced by the commenting tool to me.
Please do not submit comments on the comparison draft.

We plan on asking the IEEE 802.3 working group to initiate
the working group ballot process on the draft at the March, 2010
plenary session. The draft must be technically complete with
no known technical problems before the ballot will be initiated,
and we strive to avoid making last minute changes. Therefore,
the upcoming meeting in New Orleans is our last, best opportunity
to reach agreement on technical changes to the draft prior to the
working group ballot. We still have not updated the draft to reflect
the approved amendments for LRM, 10GBASE-T, backplane, and frame
format extensions. This must be our top priority, and I invite
contributions and comments to address this deficiency.

Thank you for your review of IEEE Draft P802.3.1/D1.2. I also
offer my thanks to John Hawkins for his assistance in producing
the draft.

Happy New Year!

Howard Frazier
Chair, IEEE 802.3.1 MIB task force