Re: [802.3_MAINT] Maintenance TF Web Area Update: Maintenance Requests and Associated Reports

Wael hello,

I just reviewed request 1220 (thanks for fixing the missing attachment).

Request 1220 identifies a problem in the 10G-EPON MAC (ie. Multipoint MAC Control does not correctly account for a second laser burst transmitted in a single grant).

1. Regarding the proposed remedy:

- The revised figure 77-14  defines a variable "IdleCount".  I would note that the MPCP layer is not aware of the IDLEs per se (as they are inserted by the PCS layer in the absence of data to transmit).

- Moreover the definition of IdleCount states "this variable advances by 1 after every 8-bit times". To estimate laser-off time correctly the variable also needs to take the rate adaptation of the transmitting PCS into account.   This would mean that the advancement of the variable halts while (fecOffset[1:0] = 0).

2. So with gratitude to the submitter of the maintenance request, iappears that additional study is needed to determine the best response to request 1220.

3.  As well, I would like to suggest that additional study be given to the requests 1221 and 1222  - which also deal with clause 77 issues.

Thanks and Regards,

Jeff Mandin
PMC-Sierra