Re: [802.3_MAINT] Maintenance TF Web Area Update: Maintenance Requests and Associated Reports

Hi Jeff,

As the author of this maintenance request, I believe I should provide some clarification on the points you raise.

I am not mistaken looking at Figure 76-8 and 76-7, IDLEs are inserted by MAC in the absence of data to be transmitted and not by PCS. Data stream passing through the XGMII is continuous and not bursty in 10G-EPON. It becomes bursty in PCS after the IDLE deletion function, making space for FEC parity data to be inserted after FEC is calculated.

As for the IdleCount – per proposed definition, this variable represents **length of gap between subsequent frames**, expressed in the unit of octet time and not the number of IDLES inserted by MAC. It represents the duration of the period between two consecutive transmissions as observed by the ONU control multiplexer. Please note that even though the MAC Control does not see IDLEs, neither it does see or know what FEC parity is, yet we have a variable fecOffset (see 77.2.2.3) which is used to calculate the position within the FEC codeword at the given moment of time. Definition of fecOffset and proposed IdleCount are very similar, hence I am not really sure why it causes confusion.

Sincerely,

Marek Hajduczenia, PhD

ZTE Portugal

Edifício Amoreiras Plaza,

Rua Carlos Alberto da Mota Pinto, nr. 9 - 6 A,

1070-374 Lisbon, Portugal

Office: +351 213 700 090
Fax: + 351 213 813 349
Mobile: +351 961 121 851