From: Anslow, Peter [mailto:panslow@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2011 2:14 AM
To: Dove, Daniel; STDS-802-3-MAINT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: 802.3 revision: intention to comment on Clause 52

Dan,

I agree that measurement results for this would be desirable.

I’m not sure, however, that they will be “relatively easy to capture”.  Most device manufacturers need to operate with a high yield against the eye mask test, so finding a population of devices with a significant number of failures against the existing test may not be very easy.

One way forward might be to operate a set of test devices at progressively higher and higher bit rates until they fail the old and new eye mask tests, then plot similar curves to the ones from my simulations.

Regards,

Pete Anslow | Senior Standards Advisor
43-51 Worship Street | London, EC2A 2DX, UK
Direct +44 2070 125535