Re: [8023-POEP] 30s timing requirement for LLDPDU containing DTE via MDI classification TLV

Anoop,

I think that the 30 second timer was originally my idea - I put it in simply because I thought it would be useful to put an upper bound on the transmission frequency. When I spoke to Norm he didn't like the idea (although he wasn't ardently against it). I'm inclined to go with Norm's advice and ditch the 30 second timer. It was specified on a whim and I don't see any barrier to removing it.

Hugh.

From: owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Anoop Vetteth (avetteth)
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:18 PM
To: STDS-802-3-POEP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [8023-POEP] 30s timing requirement for LLDPDU containing DTE via MDI classification TLV

Colleagues

I apologise that I was not able to provide sufficient reasons why we should get rid of the 30s retransmission requirement from Section 33.6.1 of Draft 3.1. This is not my background.

I was able to get hold of Norm earlier today and got all the clarifications in this regard. LLDP protocol does not require an additional timing requirement. By default it has a Slow mode and a Fast mode. Under steady state, LLDP engine works in the slow mode and sends out the LLDPDU in a very slow rate. When there is a change in the local MIB value it defaults to the fast mode where LLDPDU is sent every second for multiple seconds. This ensures that the change is seen by the remote system under worst case BER etc.

In short we do not have to add any additional timing requirements on top of what is defined by LLDP. Let me know if you have any concerns with getting rid of the 30s requirement.

Thanks
Anoop