[8023-POEP] P802.3at schedule and spnosor ballot information

Colleagues:

I have been asked by several of you what our schedule looks like and when we are expected to publish.  I have spent some time with the power that be to determine what steps are left for our group and estimating reasonable completion times.  Below are the high points:

  • Recirculation on D3.2 - underway
  • November Plenary – Task Force (TF) Comment resolution of D3.3
    - TF generation of D3.3
    - Working Group (WG) conditional approval for Sponsor Ballot (SB)
    - WG D3.3 recirculation
  • January 2009 Interim - TF Comment resolution - no changes to draft
    - WG Chair open SB for D3.3 renamed to D4.0
  • March Plenary - TF SB comment resolution D4.0
    - TF SB recirculation D4.1
  • May Interim - TF SBR comment resolution D4.1
    - TF SB recirculation D4.2
  • July Plenary - TF SBR comment resolution D4.2
    - WG conditional approval for RevCom submit
  • September 2009 RevCom/Standards Board - Standards Ratification

At any given point, a large influx of comments could cause us to have an unplanned meeting which may affect a subsequent event’s timing.  There is also an assumption that we will have a low number of comments during the D3.2 comment cycle that is underway as I expect for close all comments received in the 2.5 days of the November plenary.  The comment volume for D3.2 and D3.3 are probably the biggest unknowns for potential delays to the project.

Also, should we manage to complete any step early, and move the schedule up, the September date will not move as we are now co-contingent on the LLDP changes being made by both 802.1 and 802.3.  There is no practical way that all these changes will occur prior to September, so we are gate there.

Finally, some of you have asked for instructions on how to participate in the Sponsor Ballot process.  To do this, you can either

  1. Be an IEEE member and join the IEEE-SA.  The current Standards Association (IEEE-SA) membership association dues are $43, IEEE membership dues vary by geography from $169 in the United States to $133 in Latin America [ http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/Cost/dues.html ], so IEEE plus IEEE-SA varies by geography from $212 to $176.
  2. Just join the IEEE-SA without joining the IEEE.  The current IEEE-SA membership dues are $212 regardless of geography.
  3. Pay a one-off balloting fee.  The per ballot fee for non-members is $275, again regardless of geography.

For more information on the sponsor ballot process visit http://www.ieee802.org/3/rules/member.html#LMSC

Personally, I would recommend that if you are not already a member visit www.ieee.org and click on the “Join IEEE” link on the right corner of the welcome page.  On the membership page select the “Join IEEE as a Professional” option and fill out the subsequent pages.  When asked if you desire to join Societies or Associations tick off “Standards Association.”

Cheers

Mike

Michael McCormack

P802.3at Task Force Chairman

 and

Business Development Manager
Texas Instruments (employed and affiliated)
50 Phillippe Cote St.
Manchester, NH 03101 USA

Office: +1 603 222 8686

Mobile: +1 603 264 0146