Re: [8023-POEP] Liaison letter from IEC TC65/SC65C/JWG10 - Power over Ethernet performance in industrial environments

Hugh - I agree with your well-written response.
-george

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Hugh Barrass
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 10:51 AM
To: STDS-802-3-POEP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [8023-POEP] Liaison letter from IEC TC65/SC65C/JWG10 -
Power over Ethernet performance in industrial environments

David,

I can see that the liaison from IEC has caused some interesting
discussion amongst PoE experts (and myself), however I think that we are

being asked to comment on what may well be design flaws in specific
products and I do not think that is a healthy discussion within 802.3.

I suggest that we should send a reply along the following lines:

The problems described in your liaison spurred some vigorous discussion
amongst our task force members regarding possible causes for the damage
that you describe. However the members are not aware of any similar
reports that might indicate a systemic problem with 802.3 compliant
equipment. It is the opinion of the members of IEEE P802.3at Task Force
that the standard allows product manufacturers to build reliable and
interoperable equipment that will meet the requirements for supplying
power over Ethernet in many environments. However, the standard does not

define how a manufacturer must build the product to ensure reliability
or how an installer should ensure that the media is suitable for correct

operation within the standard. We suggest that you should work with the
equipment manufacturers involved to determine whether the failure is the

result of a systemic problem with the standard and whether a specific
amendment may be required.

With respect to the bit error rate performance of 802.3 links when power

is being supplied over the same link, the members of IEEE P802.3at Task
Force believe that a compliant system supplying power over an 802.3 link

will not perturb the channel sufficiently to degrade the performance of
the underlying link. However, it is the responsibility of the product
manufacturer to ensure that noise introduced by the load does not couple

to the link and violate the power over Ethernet specifications or the
channel specifications required for the link. Similarly it is the
responsibility of the system installer that the channel characteristics
are met in the presence of environmental noise.

Hugh.