IEEE 802.3auDTE Power Isolation Corrigendum Comment Response Rebu ttal

Greetings to those interested in making improvements to the IEEE802.3
standard.

Below is a brief email exchange history between David and myself regarding
comments I made on IEEE 802.3au (IEEE P802.3-2005/Cor 1) D1.0.

I have attached my rebuttal to the comment responses made by the interim
committee reviewing the comments.  This reflector message in accommodation
of David's request.  Due to personal family medical priorities, I was not
able to be in my office last week as I had planned.

Many concerned and conscientious members of the IEEE802.3 body provided
comments, good and helpful comments, on the corrigendum ballot text to aid
in the improvement and clarification of the standard.  I do not take lightly
the casual rejection of good and helpful contributions to an effort to
clarify an area of the standard that has been the topic of many
interpretation requests.  The IEEE802.3 standard is indeed in need of
clarification, correction, and consistency as a whole in the area of
isolation and closely related environmental considerations and grounding.

I believe the corrigendum falls short of its PAR objective and intent,
"Current specifications are confusing to implementers, and consequently we
are receiving a significant number of interpretation requests on isolation,
and this would be reduced with improved text."

I ask those interested to review the PAR, the balloted corrigendum text, the
comments and interim committee responses, and my rebuttal and consider the
fact that the ballot passed...overwhelmingly!

I hope my rebuttal is a good read.

Best Regards to all,

Robert Busse