A proposed additional objective

Colleagues-

At the meeting in Hawaii I intend to propose the addition of the following
Objective for the DTE Power project:

 - Maintain normal functionality of Link Integrity LED

Rationale: The loopback scheme proposed at York or variations thereof would
loopback the transmit to receive of a hub or switch in the closet. This
would nominally result in the Link Integrity LED lighting in the closet on
a false basis as a result of new equipment shorting transmit to receive for
a legacy hub or switch. This would be a FALSE indication in terms of the
training of the customer base, i.e. the LED would be on when the device at
the far end was turned off.

See you in Kauai.

Geoff
|=========================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
| 4401 Great America Parkway              |
| P. O. Box 58185                         |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
| Fax:   +1 408 988 5525                  |
| E-Mail: gthompso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
 http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html