Re: Crossover cable

Geoff Thompson writes:
 > The point is that we cannot damage equipment when a cross-over cable is
 > correctly or incorrectly inserted into the link.

The problem is not a correctly inserted cable, the problem is an
incorrectly combination of cables and MDI or MDI-X ports.

Of course, the *real* problem is that data cables are wired
straight-through.  If the polarity inversion had been done in the
cable, then any two ports would plug together.  Of course, then silver
satin cables would work, only of course they *wouldn't* work on a bad
day, and every day that the network is down is a bad day.  :)

--
-russ nelson <sig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  http://russnelson.com