Continuous Current Capacity of Panels, Jacks, and Plugs

Hi Everyone:

I have been following the Study Groups work on DTE Power via MDI and I have
discussed some of the issues with attendees. Some feedback I received from
the January meeting was that some connecting hardware (jacks, modular panels
or otherwise) with printed circuit board technology have a maximum operating
current of 250 milliamperes.

One applicable standard for communications circuit accessories is the UL
standard    UL1863. This standard specifies a Fault current test but does no
specify a continuous operating current. The current-carrying parts are
subjected to 2.2 amperes for 30 minutes and 7.0 amperes for 5 seconds.

 This is a request to anyone with information about the maximum operating
current of communications circuit accessories such as the cross-connects,
jacks, and plugs used to implement the EIA/TIA-568-B.1 type cabling systems.

Regards,

John H. Kee Jr.
jhkee@xxxxxxxxxx