Re: Signal vs. Idle debate (was: Here's a new idea)

Among your omissions is the fact that you can't power a 1000BASE-T
interface without inflicting power on the signal pairs.  I'm not bringing
this up because I think that powering 1000BASE-T is the most important
objective for the committee, rather I'm pointing out that it seems like
solving the power-over-signal problem really is the most inclusive objective.

JR

At 10:54 AM 5/4/00 -0400, Mike_S_McCormack@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>There are conflicting opinions on where the priorities should be.  I'll be
glad
>to take up the challenge to distract you from your work and make you all wade
>through my opinions for a while.
>
>There are a number of customer who have previously purchased Ethernet
>hubs/switches/routers and deployed them in their facilities.  I believe that
>approximately 100% of the installed base fall into this category of investors.
>(I suspect that the number of us who are using near death alpha prototype
>equipment at home is less than a percent - perhaps I'm wrong.)
>
>Some number of the above sub-group of Ethernet users have "cheaped out" and
>either run just two pairs or have decided to alter their plant and run two
>Ethernet links over the installed four pair.  I would conjecture that the vast
>majority of the people/organizations that did either of these thing knew they
>were cutting corners.  Some potential users may very well have installed other
>facilities that they are migrating to Ethernet.  These
organizations/people may