Re: [802.3af] Late comment

Steve,

Although it may make sense to tie the common to earth ground, the existing
IEEE-802.3 standard has a nasty little requirement that it must be floating.

In fact it's further specified that the system should be able to have all
conductors of all ports tied together, then hi-pot tested at 2250Vdc, between
the wires and the chassis.

Therefore it was decided that this group will not make any changes to the
existing 802.3 standard.

I would however suggest a high resistance (possibly 10M) or so, between the
common and chassis, in order to drain static charge.

Regards

Jerry
--
Gerard E. Bachand