Re: [RE] Synchronous ethernet discussions

Manoj:
I believe you raise some of the basic questions which will need to be
addressed.  I have looked thru the Digital Living Networking Alliance (DLNA)
papers to see if I could get some guidance.  They address the needs from a high
level but don't provide much detail.  As our companies are both members, maybe
we should initiate such an effort :)

Regarding topology, I see this as essentially a green field into which vendors
will bring new application driven devices using mostly existing 802.3 silicon.
That means the frame format does not change, we may use P2MP from 802.3ah and I
advocate the speed at 1 G.  I believe that because your colleagues tell me that
1 GE will be on the motherboards in a year and with those kind of volumes, 1 GE
silicon will be cheaper than 100M.  It will also give us plenty of b/w headroom
for interesting new HD video apps as the price of displays come down.
Regards,
Richard Brand

"Wadekar, Manoj K" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>         Being new to this effort for Residential Ethernet, my apologies
>         if my questions are too basic.
>
>         Has there been any material that gives overview about Digital
>         Home requirements re:
>
>         1. What is the topology targeted for the solution:
>                 - Small network with one/two hops (bridges)?
>                 - 10/100 only or can use 10/100/1000?
>         2. Is there any workload characterization?
>                 - Packet sizes/distribution
>                 - burstiness
>         3. What is the expected/acceptable performance criteria?
>                 - Throughput at the end-station
>                 - Latency/Latency jitter
>                 - Packet drop sensitivity?
>                 - clock sync need (with respect to what?)
>         4. Is any quantitative data available that shows above can not
>            be met on GiGE? (Except clock-sync). Pointer will certainly
>            help.
>         5. What is a synchronous frame? Pointer to any prior work will
>            really help.
>
>         Appreciate any feedback.
>
> Thanks,
> - Manoj

begin:vcard
n:Brand;Richard C.
tel;work:(408) 495 2462 : ESN 265 2462
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Advanced Technology
adr:;;4655 Great America Pkway;Santa Clara;Ca.;95054;
version:2.1
email;internet:rbrand@Nortelnetworks.com
title:Director, Network Architecture & Applications
fn:Richard C. Brand
end:vcard