Re: [RE] CE applications (was: RE: [RE] Focus of discussions)

Kevin:
Ask the Consumer Electronics Association if Dolby 5.1 ==> Dolby 6.0 is selling well.  Take
a listen sometime.
Also, remember that we in the tech industry are atypical of most of the consumer product
customer base.
I'd recommend that you book your rooms in Vegas now for the Consumer Electronics show in
Jan. to understand this industry (why we called it "Residential Ethernet").  You cannot
assess unless you can experience it.  FYI attendance at the CEA show has far surpassed the
attendance of any of our technology or computer/communications trade shows.  Been to
Comdex lately?
Richard

 "Gross, Kevin" wrote:

> I don't work day-to-day in consumer applications but I haven't recently seen
> that sector make many successful decisions that favor fidelity over
> functionality.
>
> The recent successes in the consumer electronics market have all introduced
> new functionality (sometimes paired with increased fidelity) - DVD, Direct
> satellite, MP3, TiVO.
>
> Advances that focus on improved fidelity have not faired as well - Super
> audio CD, DVD Audio, High-definition TV.

begin:vcard
n:Brand;Richard C.
tel;work:(408) 495 2462 : ESN 265 2462
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Advanced Technology
adr:;;4655 Great America Pkway;Santa Clara;Ca.;95054;
version:2.1
email;internet:rbrand@Nortelnetworks.com
title:Director, Network Architecture & Applications
fn:Richard C. Brand
end:vcard