Re: [RE] Technical Feasibility & Current Work

At 14:31 31/08/2004 -0700, Richard Brand wrote:
>John:
>I was just in attendance today at an ITU-T SG16 mtg where they are creating documents for
>an end to end QoS and signaling system for both real time voice and video conferencing.
>They are in the creation phase of crafting an elaborate solution of path awareness and
>call blocking in their new draft spec "H.priority" which is attached.  This is applying a
>version of the prioritization scheme as have you have stated in your note and it would
>appear to be a "multi banana" (read $$$ to the new subscribers to this reflector) ).
>Reminds me of the priority levels in 802.5 token ring and 3BNet (offshoot of early
>Ethernet work)

The document seems to be more about success in connecting calls than success in transferring data once the call is connected (which, of course, is not a problem on ISDN/B-ISDN/ATM because a suitable-sized "pipe" through the network is reserved as part of the connection process).

Of course, ease, speed, and reliability of connecting to (in particular) live-stream services (compare channel-surfing on the net to channel-surfing on analogue TV) is all part of the QoE equation, but it's far beyond the horizon as far as the scope of this group is concerned.

>I first attended this group in the early nineties when they began their work on H.323 for
>non-QoS LAN videoconferencing.
>Bottom line, after many meetings and pages of documents, not much progress in over 15
>years.

I think this has been kicked into life by the Emergency Telecoms Services initiative, so it's more about making the system usable by the authorities in abnormal conditions than about giving a good service to consumers in normal conditions.

One of the problems with the current internet seems to be its inability to multicast (or so I am told by the folks at bbc.co.uk, apparently IP multicasting isn't widely enough implemented to be useful) which means that if lots of people want to listen to a broadcast lots of copies have to be sent out and the system overloads. Again, way outside our scope.

>Also, there are two published and therefore copyrighted ITU specs that I wish to send to
>this reflector as soon as I determine the distribution limitations.  Some of you may have
>access to ITU documents so those docs are H.360 and G.1010.
>Both of these address applications requirements for multimedia LANs which can be helpful
>for our work as we move forward.

Yes, should be interesting.

John Grant

Nine Tiles Networks Ltd, Cambridge, England
+44 1223 862599 and +44 1223 511455
http://www.ninetiles.com