Re: [RE] What's wrong using FireWire as the home backbone?

John:

The PAR contains a scope statement limited to five lines.  The PAR
though is the statement of work as far as the IEEE-SA Standards Board is
concerned. Generally, the scope statement is quite broad, and the
purpose (also five lines) also typically.  If the draft developed by a
group is not consistent with the PAR, RevCom may not approve it as a
standard.

The Five Criteria are unique to IEEE 802.  They serve a number of
purposes, but in my view, the most important is establishing that there
is a timely need for a project.  The "why" is covered by Broad Market
potential and Distinct Identity, and the "why now" by Broad Market
Potential, Technical Feasibility and Economic Feasibility.

The PAR and Five Criteria define our work in the view of the LMSC
Executive Committee.  (It is interesting to note that the 2004 PAR form
added 14a which is intended to stimulate some of the same kind of
thought process for all IEEE_SA groups that an 802 group goes through if
it seriously considers the Five Criteria.)

As David pointed out, the objectives are not required, but are something
done by virtually all 802.3 groups (look on the web site for completed
or ongoing projects -- P802.3ae, P802.3ah, P802.3an, etc.)  Objectives
define items and levels of consensus, and will typically evolve until
there is a draft (sometimes even after).  Objectives should not be used
to write the standard, but to provide greater detail than practical in a
five line scope statement.  When approved/accepted by the 802.3 WG, they
can be viewed as a "contract" between the project task force and IEEE
802.3 on the work to be done.  For example, if the project will only
address full-duplex operation, than that could either be included in the
PAR scope or as an objective depending on the level of agreement.  If
the task force believes the "contract" needs to be revised, an amended
or new objective is presented to 802.3 for approval.  If the change
though is in the PAR scope statement, then a modified PAR must be
prepared and approved by 802.3, the LMSC Executive Committee, NesCom and
the IEEE-SA standards board.

--Bob Grow