Re: [RE] current state

Title: current state

Matthias,

A few thoughts follow.

>> To have the same functionality with Layer-2 message format we need either two different

>> Ethernet MAC addresses or two different Ethertypes.

I would have thought that its sufficient to have one Ethertype and a following byte

that distinguishes between distinct message types. Since all bytes after the

Ethertype are Etheretype-dependent, this option would be possible.

>> Are you thinking of a Layer-2 message format with IEEE 802.1 RE SG?

Yes, with only one frame type and a frame that is the minimum (64-byte)

size.

What are the reasons for using a Layer-2 message format?

There are multiple reasons. I suspect that a teleconference with more

participants would be more effective than an email exchange with only

myself. I’m not in a position to represent the entire RE SG; many more

folks are involved.

DVJ