Re: [RE] Action item resulting from discussion of ResE logistics in 1588 call

The current thinking on synchronization desires/requirements is succinctly stated in Geoff Garner’s Synchronization presentation: http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/re_study/public/200511/20051114-garner-synch-simul.pdf

From: David V James [mailto:dvj@ALUM.MIT.EDU]
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 8:45 PM
To: STDS-802-3-RE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [RE] Action item resulting from discussion of ResE logistics in 1588 call

Geoff,

I have concerns with the stated approach.

I think we have to understand what we would desire

first, which we can then use to compare how well

1588 comes to that ideal.

Without a good strawman, its hard to be precise

about what portions of 1588 (or some of the

speculative features conceived for revisions)

would fit into the picture.

I therefore would continue to encourage that this

be done in two phases (which can be in parallel):

  1) Define/refine the strawman.

  2) Compare features of strawman and existing 1588.

Actually, the 1588 chair recommended that (2) would

be useful, which can only be done after (1).

DVJ

David V. James
3180 South Ct
Palo Alto, CA 94306