802.11a and 802.11b Ballots

As sponsor chair for IEEE 802 LMSC, per our discussions, I ask that you stop
the ballots for 802.11a and 802.11b started on Monday, 5April. After my
approval of the balloting groups on Monday, we have observed several
inconsistencies and believe we may have compromised on the ballot integrity due
to:

1) The shut-down of several email systems due to the Melissa virus occurred
right in front of the ballot start and there was a general loss of some
critical communications that affected getting an improved wording on the
working group no vote in the ballot and correct formation of the balloting
pool.

2) There were several names missing from the balloting group, who thought they
had responded positively to the ballot pool message and confusion on which
people were on the ballot group. The requirement for IEEE-SA membership was
clear, however, several people applied for IEEE-SA membership at the 802
meeting in March and their membership confirmation is now occurring.

As soon as you resend me the updated balloting group names, I will review and
hopefully approve the balloting group and ask you restart the ballots. I look
forward to a successful restart on Thursday, 8April.

Jim Carlo (jcarlo@ti.com) Phone: 214-340-8837  Fax&Voice Mail: 214-853-5274
TI Fellow, Networking Standards at Texas Instruments
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 Telecom and Info Exchange Between Systems
Chair, IEEE 802 LAN MAN Standards Committee