Re: voting membership rules

Roger,

I agree with all of Tony's interpretations.

-Paul

p.s.  An observation: It seems to me that learning to interpret 802 voting
rules has become a sort of 'right of passage' for new chairs and memebers.
Is this bad?  I'm not so sure....it can be seen as a measure of how
interested in our rules people are.

At 09:42 AM 9/24/99 +0100, Tony Jeffree wrote:

> [...]
>attended (assuming the "last four" rule has been satisfied); so in this case,
>the individual will gain voting rights only on attendance at plenary
meeting 4
>or 5.  This is clear from the first passage you quote.
>
>(2) Now we introduce the interim meetings, and things get trickier. The
>problem
>is that the rules don't specify WHICH interim meetings are eligible. For
>example, if someone comes to an interim in 1981 and then turns up this
>November, does he become a voter the next time he shows up at a Plenary? A
>more
>typical example is this: a guy comes to a March Plenary and a May interim. Is
>he a voter in July? Does this violate the clause that "Membership starts at
>the
>third Plenary"? It seems to; you could establish voting membership from
>scratch
>in 4 months. How do you guys handle this?
>
>>>The substitution rule (you can substitute one interim for one of the
>plenaries) is reasonably clear on this, but I agree, if there has only ever
>been 1 interim and that occurred in 1981, then there is the possibility of
>mis-interpretation.  I believe that what the rule should clarify here is that
>the only interim attendances that can be substituted are the ones that have
>occurred during the time-period betweem now and the first of the last four
>plenaries.  In other words, the test for gaining membership becomes:
>
>>>"If you are building membership, and you are attending a plenary meeting,
>and
>you have either attended two out of the last four plenaries or have attended
>one of the last four plenaries plus one interim meeting that occurred in
>between any two of the last four plenaries, then you have achieved voting
>status."
>
>>>Similarly, for maintaining membership:
>
>>>"If you have either attended two out of the last four plenaries or have
>attended one of the last four plenaries plus one interim meeting that
occurred
>in between any two of the last four plenaries, then you have maintained your
>voting status."
>
>One of the rules I'm considering is allowing an interim to substitute ONLY
for
>the preceding Plenary.  This would require a minimum of 6 months to gain
>voting
>rights. If I don't do this, I'll probably let the interim credit be
applied to
>either the preceding or following Plenary but not to any other.
>
>>>I believe that is a tighter constraint than is currently applied in other
>WGs.
>
>(3) This is a comment, not a question: I think that the rules should be
>revised
>to take into account the existence of and importance of interim meetings.
Like