RE: FW: IEEE 802 & IPF

Roger,

JTC1 is Joint Technical Committee 1.  ISO and IEC had overlaping areas
of responsibility that affected areas like telecom.  Instead of developing
conflicting standards for the same area, they decided to create a joint
group to cover these subjects.

JTC1 has been the path for producing international standardization of
802 standards.  (For the wireless standards and perhaps cable some
issues came up about whether that or some other international
SDO had the charter.)  While IEEE 802 has international participation,
IEEE in the formal standards heirarchy is considered to produce US
national standards.  (On a practical level, IEEE 802 standards have been
increasingly accepted internationally though we did get some feedback
that some people find the formal international recognition important.)

Our money does not go to JTC1.  Each committee within JTC1 requires
administration - a secretariat.  A country takes responsibility for
a secretariat meaning that they provide the chair for the subcommittee
and handle administration.  The US holds the secretariat for JTC-1,
SC6 (the subcommittee for LAN standards) and some others.

In some countries, the government funds their secretariats but the US
government does not do that.  For a while a group of companies including
HP each paid a share of the costs of administering the US secretariats
spreading the cost over a small number of big companies, but at some
point there was a decision that it would be more fair to spread the costs
more by having each standards participant for JTC-1 track standards pay
a fee.

We pay the fee to IEEE which forwards it to ANSI which uses it to cover
the costs of the secretariat.  It was more or less imposed upon us by
ANSI and IEEE as a requirement for international standardization.  The
executive committee agreed to the mechanism.  Over time we have negotiated
some minor adjustments.  For instance, the fee was suppose to be $300 a
year, but that would have been a pain for us to collect and administer so
we collect $100 per meeting and since about 10% of our attendees are not
US, we figure the payment at 90% of the attenndence.

Because 802 is a very large standards group and also because some other
groups are arranged such that only a small part of their actual standards
developers paid the fee, 802 has paid the lion's share of the fee over the
years.

I don't recall when it started but it has probably been in place
for 5 to 10 years.

Until recently our only direct relationship with JTC1 was informal liaisons
as only countries could be members.  We submitted our documents through
ANSI and a US TAG (technical advisory group) to JTC1 SC6.
Recently, JTC1 has changed their rules.  I believe that IEEE now has
a form of membership.  This also allows us to submit drafts to a more
streamlined standards process.  Jim and Geoff can best fill you
in on the new relationship while I put my head back into the infinite
stream of Infiniband email.

Pat