Response to SC6 N11216

After various feedback from Geoff Thompson,Tony Jeffree, Roy Bynum, and Herb
Bertine (Chair of ITU-T, SG7), I plan to send the following attached file
(content also in text at bottom of message) as a response to SC6 N11216,
which is actually a request from the ITU for information on the Draft
Recommendation on Ethernet Frame over SDH/WDM, which is TD3151/Rev.1.

Jim Carlo(jcarlo@ti.com) Cellular:1-214-693-1776 Voice&Fax:1-214-853-5274
TI Fellow, Networking Standards at Texas Instruments
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 Telecom and Info Exchange Between Systems
Chair, IEEE802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee

++++++++++++++=
Subject: Response to SC06 N 11216 (Comments on draft Recommendation on
Ethernet Frame over SDH/WDM)

Reference: 	SC06 N 11216 Liaison Statement Request
		Q.10/7 TD 3155/Rev1 Liaison Statement Request
		Q.10/7 TD 3151/Rev1 Draft Recommendation

At the IEEE 802 Plenary Meeting (8Nov99 - 12Nov99) the draft document
TD3155/Rev.1 was considered as an item but no technical response could be
prepared. The details that are asked for are somewhat outside the current
experience base of 802.3 voting membership. The 802.3 Working Group is
composed of experts in the CSMA/CD Access Method and devices (MACs) built up
on that base as well as experts in building physical layers that provide
coding and transmission interfaces between the MAC and LAN physical media
(twisted pair and fiber).

As part of the new work proposal now before the IEEE-SA Standards Board on
10Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.3 is building up its technical expertise in
SONET,SDH, and related wide-area transport mechanisms.  I hope that we can
be in a better position to respond to communication requests on this topic
in the future.

802-R11216.PDF