RE: Proposed Letter to CS SAB and IEEE-SA Standards on Electronic Balloting

I have made some modifications to the body of the text as below. Bob, are
you ok with this?
Jim Carlo

ATTACHED PROCEDURES  - Bob Love

1. Noting that the most critical addresses of the people in the ballot pool
are their email addresses, the entire process should be based on
communication via those email addresses.  As such a critical first step is
to obtain the correct email addresses of the people that have volunteered to
participate in LMSC ballots in the balloting pool. We should also require
that the response to the "Invitation to Ballot" be electronic to eliminate
the burden on those conducting the ballot to perform the tedious step of
verifying e-mail addresses during formation of the balloting group.

To implement this, we should send out a mailing to the entire group of
volunteers notifying them that we are moving toward electronic balloting,
and that supplying their correct e-mail contact information will be critical
to maintaining their eligibility to participate in future sponsor ballots.
The move to electronic balloting will require both email capability, and
access to the web to download drafts, to submit comments, and to vote.
Require the ballot pool volunteers send their full contact information
including email address in response to this note.  (You can set this up by
having them send the information electronically, which will facilitate your
building a data base).

2. At the time of ballot pool formation for any LMSC vote, conduct the
ballot pool formation electronically only.  This way, all returns have
guaranteed valid e-mail addresses at the time the pool is formed, and
eliminates the requirement for the working group chairs to go through the
additional address validation process.

3. In the invitation e-mail make it clear that no hard copy materials will
be made available to anyone.

4. While not part of electronic balloting, per se, we need to make it clear
that it is the
responsibility of people that volunteer to participate to cast their vote
(Approve / Do Not Approve / Abstain) in a timely manner, and that failure to
cast their vote after volunteering is sufficient cause to remove their names
from the overall 802 ballot pool.

Jim Carlo(jcarlo@ti.com) Cellular:1-214-693-1776 Voice&Fax:1-214-853-5274
TI Fellow, Networking Standards at Texas Instruments
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 Telecom and Info Exchange Between Systems
Chair, IEEE802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee