IEEE 802 20th Anniversary Celebration

I have not spent the time needed to solicit an appropriate guest speaker. I
did obtain contacts in WDC who could invite appropriate notables
(Clinton,Gore), but have not followed through. Thinking about this after the
new year, IEEE 802 has been successful because we have concentrated on doing
standards and not gaining publicity for our efforts or basking in the fruits
of our rewards (I guess some of the attendees have received more fruits for
their efforts than others).

In looking at the WG's activities, I also see that we have a very busy
schedule for March. I am therefore concerned about a speaker on Wednesday
evening (or even Tuesday evening) and what type of reception the person
would recieve.

What I prefer to concentrate on is the following:

1) Holding a strong social on Wednesday evening with participation from our
own attendees. In the past, what has been successful is different WG chairs
doing a skit or sing-along karoke (IMHO). We can plan something special here
to give everyone a break. ANY COMMENTS?

2) Having available T-shirts, coffee mugs, ceramic cookies, pencils,
juggling balls, etc., with our emblem of 20years for the millenium. My best
idea so far is three juggling balls, where each person could choose one of
fifteen balls for each Working group. NEED A VOLUNTEER TO DO THIS.

3) Give out the IEEE 802 Millenium Twenty Year Medal. Not sure how to give
these out - except to give them to all attendees of the Albuquerque meeting
who are voting members of IEEE 802. Or I could ask each chair to supply me a
list of their editors/vice-chairs/task force chairs/key-contibutors and
would go with this. NEED SUGGESTIONS HERE.

4) Invite Don Loughry and Maris Graube to our Alberquerque meeting to say a
few words (very few) in perspective. I would not charge them our meeting fee
and would hope to also comp a hotel room for Wed night since this is a
special tribute for their past due diligence. DOES ANYONE HAVE MARIS'S EMAIL
ADDRESS?

Jim Carlo(jcarlo@ti.com) Cellular:1-214-693-1776 Voice&Fax:1-214-853-5274
TI Fellow, Networking Standards at Texas Instruments
Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 Telecom and Info Exchange Between Systems
Chair, IEEE802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee