Re: Invitation to Co-Sign Letter to IEEE Election Candidates regarding ISTO

Geof,
My definition of "one end of the spectrum" was that all the interested
parties were at the table.

The following exchange with Roger may be helpful.
Hope this helps.
Mark

Roger,
(1) Only an entity with IEEE's interests and perspectives can decide if an
issue is appropriate for ISTO (i.e. no, it cannot be left to the standards
developers).  (2) They can't.  The two need to be distinguished.

I don't have enough information to know how best to implement these two
items, but they need to be addressed.

Hope this helps.  I suspect we're pretty much in agreement.
Mark

At 12:19 PM 10/11/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Mark,
>
>Thank you for your comments. I appreciate the seriousness with which you
>have taken the issue, and I particularly appreciate the point you made in
>your "pajama" example.
>
>Since you asked "Am I making my position clear?", I'll mention that I see
>a few problems. The main ones:
>
>(1) Who decides which side of the spectrum the topic falls on? Can you
>leave it to the standards developers? Pajama manufacturers might find more
>convenient to declare an "IEEE" "standard" through ISTO, even if you or I
>found this to be inappropriate.
>
>I would also ask: if an IEEE Standards project already exists, would this
>provide evidence that the project does not belong at the ISTO end of the
>spectrum and that ISTO should be prohibited from developing a competitive
>project?
>
>(2) How is the average EE (let alone the average citizen) going to
>distinguish a "standard" that has been through the IEEE Standards
>consensus process from one that hasn't?
>
>My own opinion is that ISTO should be prohibited from using the term
>"standard" to describe their output; I think "industry specification"
>would describe their outputs perfectly. And, unless ISTO were
>appropriately accountable, I would go further and prohibit ISTO from using
>the IEEE name and logo.
>
>I'm not trying to get into a debate with you on this, but, since you
>asked, I thought I owed you an answer.
>
>Since I won't actually ask for your comments until October 15, you have
>time to refine your position if you like.
>
>Regards,
>
>Roger

Mark