From: owner-stds-802-sec@ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-sec@ieee.org]On
Behalf Of Geoff Thompson
Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2000 11:49 AM
To: Jim Carlo
Cc: IEEE802
Subject: Re: IEEE802 Report

Jim-

I would suggest some revisions to your report:

1) Terms of reference:

I would change "As requested by individual countries, the IEEE series of
standards..." to "As requested by individual countries, certain LMSC
standards..."

It should be noted that our scope now could arguably be construed to go
beyond the Metropolitan Area Network because of  the WAN PHY of 802.3af.

I would add that the Third Millennium Medal given to LMSC was the only one
given to a group.

2) Basic Standards Family

Under the Wire Line Standards I would break out things into 2 sub bullets,
one for still active and another for those that have apparently completed
their work and are in hibernation.

802.8 has been disbanded, i.e. not active and no approved standard (as
noted in the highlights).

3) Accomplishments

To complete the structure that you have as:
         2 New Standards Projects Completed in 2000 (Through Oct)
         7 New Projects (Approved new PARs) in 2000 (Through Oct)
         6 Withdrawn Projects in 2000 (Through Oct)
there needs to be a list of the active projects too.

Thanks for maintaining this.

Geoff

At 10:02 PM 10/13/00 -0500, Jim Carlo wrote:
>Computer Society needed a report for IEEE 802 (Year 2000) and I put
together
>the following.
>
>Jim Carlo(jcarlo@ti.com) Cellular:1-214-693-1776 Voice&Fax:1-214-853-5274
>TI Fellow, Networking Standards at Texas Instruments
>Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 Telecom and Info Exchange Between Systems
>Chair, IEEE802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee

Title: LMSC Report for 4Q2000

IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee

OVERVIEW

Terms of Reference

The IEEE 802 Local and Metropolitan Area Network Standards Committee has the basic charter to create, maintain, and encourage the use of IEEE/ANSI and equivalent IEC/ISO JTC 1 standards primarily within layers 1 and 2 of the OSI (Open System Interconnection) Reference Model. The committee has met at least three times per year as a Plenary body ever since it was formed in February 1980. As requested by individual countries, certain IEEE 802 series of standards are internationalized in JTC1. The IEEE series of standards are known as IEEE 802.xxx and the JTC 1 series of equivalent standards are known as ISO/IEC 8802-nnn. In the IEEE 802 context "local" means campus and "metropolitan" means intracity.

In March 2000, the IEEE 802 celebrated its 20 years of operation and was awarded the IEEE Third Millennium Medal for outstanding contribution to the Industry.

Basic Standards Family

IEEE 802 has Multiple Working Groups with average total participation of about 600 individuals at Plenary sessions. Within IEEE 802 there are six distinct categories of standards as follows:

  • IEEE 802.1: Overview and Architecture, and Interworking (including bridging and Virtual bridged LAN (VLAN))
  • IEEE 802.2: Logical Link Control (currently in hibernation and inactive).
  • IEEE 802.3: access methods and physical signaling for specific CSMA/CD wireline LAN and MAN technologies. IEEE P802.3ae may extend beyond the MAN space.
  • IEEE 802.4, .5, .6, .9, .12, .14: access methods and physical signaling for specific types of wireline LAN and MAN technologies as follows; Token Bus, Token Ring, DQDB, Integrated Services, Demand Priority, and Cable TV respectively. These projects, 802.4, 802.5, 802.6, 802.9, 802.10 and 802.12 are currently in hibernation and inactive, and 802.14 has been disbanded)
  • IEEE 802.11, .15, .16: access methods and physical signaling for specific types of wireless LAN and MAN technologies as follows; Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN), Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPAN), Broadband Wireless Access (BWA), respectively.
  • IEEE 802.7 (currently in hibernation and inactive) and IEEE 802.8 (disbanded) advisory groups in broadband and fiber optic technologies, respectively.
  • IEEE 802.10 (currently in hibernation and inactive): various levels of security for all IEEE 802 standards.
  • The level of activity in 2000/2001 within IEEE 802 should remain strong with increases from the attendance levels in 1999. For more information on IEEE 802, see the IEEE 802 Home Page.

2000 Accomplishments (Up to Oct-2000)

Highlights

  • Held 20-Year IEEE 802 anniversary celebration, with Don Loughry and Maris Graube attending in March. This represented the 20-year of IEEE 802 standardization.
  • IEEE 802.3 standardization for 10Gbps (802.3ae) and Powered 802.3 (802.3af) was significant work item for 802.3. Note that 802.3ae may extend beyond the MAN space.
  • IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN approved three new projects. Discussions in progress on harmonizing the IEEE 802.11a and ETSI/HiperLAN standard at 5GHz.
  • IEEE 802.15 Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPAN) continued strong liaison with Bluetooth SIG and draft standard now in WG ballot. Initiated work on both higher and lower speed WPAN.
  • IEEE 802.16 Broadband Wireless Access Networks (BWA) grew to greater than 150 attendees as Fixed Wireless Specifications for the transport of data, video, and voice services to systems operating at both LMDS and MMDS frequencies has large public value. Established liaison with ETSI/BRAN.
  • Developed an IEEE 802 position paper highlighting the direct project scope conflict between the recently formed IEEE-ISTO BWIF and IEEE 802.16.3 formal standardization project. Continuing to work this problem throughout IEEE levels.
  • Established direct CategoryC liaison with ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6/WG1 and WG3. IEEE 802 continues extensive interaction with JTC 1/SC6 in all aspects of LAN/MAN standardization with contributions or working papers as well as editorships at the international level.
  • Working Groups 802.5 token ring was hibernated after 20 years of operations.
  • Disbanded Working Groups 802.8 and 802.14 because of insufficient interest to continue their standards development within IEEE 802.

2 New Standards Projects Completed in 2000 (Through Oct)

P802.3ad/D3.1 (C/LM) Standard for Information Technology - Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Part 3: Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD) Access Method & Physical Layer Specifications - Aggregation of Multiple Link Segments

P802.5w/D1.3b (C/LM) Standard for Information Technology - Telecommunications and Information Exchange Between Systems - Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Part 5: Token Ring Access Method and Physical Layer Specifications - Corrigenda

7 New Projects (Approved new PARs) in 2000 (Through Oct)

P802.1x (C/LM) Port based Network Access Control

P802.3ag (C/LM) Information Technology - Telecommunications and Information Exchange Between Systems - Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Specific Requirements - Part 3: Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD) Access Method and Physical Layer Specifications - Maintenance Revision #6

P802.11e (C/LM) Supplement to Standard [for] Information Technology - Telecommunications and information exchange between systems - Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Specific requirements - Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications: Medium Access Method (MAC) Enhancements

P802.11f (C/LM) Recommended Practices for Multi-Vendor Access Point Interoperability via Inter-Access Point Protocol across Distribution Systems supporting IEEE P802.11 operation

P802.11g (C/LM) Supplement to Standard [for] Information Technology - Telecommunications and information exchange between systems - Local and Metropolitan networks - Specific requirements - Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) specifications: Further Higher data rate extension in the 2.4GHz band

P802.15.3 (C/LM) Standard for Telecommunications and Information Exchange Between Systems - LAN/MAN Specific Requirements - Part 15: Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for High Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPAN)

P802.16.3 (C/LM) Telecommunications and Information Exchange Between Systems - LAN/MAN Specific Requirements - Air Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems in Licensed Bands from 2 to 11 GHz

6 Withdrawn Projects in 2000 (Through Oct)

P802.1r (C/LM) Supplement to ISO/IEC 15802-3 (802.1D): Information Technology - Telecommunications and information exchange between systems - Local & Metropolitan Area Networks - Common specifications - Part 3: Media Access Control (MAC) Bridges - GARP Proprietary Attribute Registration Protocol (GPRP)

P802.5x (C/LM) Standard for Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks: Source Routing - Supplement to IEEE Std 802.1Q

P802.5z (C/LM) Supplement to - Information Technology Telecommunications and Information Exchange Between Systems - Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Specific Requirements - Part 5: Token Ring Access Method and Physical Layer Specifications - Aggregation of Multiple Link Segments

P802.8 (C/LM) Recommended Practice for Fiber Optic Local and Metropolitan Area Networks

P802.14 (C/LM) Standard for Local and Metropolitan Networks: Broadband Cable Access Method and Physical Layer Specification

P802.14a (C/LM) Standard for a High Capacity PHYsical Layer for IEEE 802.14 Upstream

Planned meetings for 4Q2000/2001

  • Year 2000 - November 6-10 Tampa, Florida
  • Year 2001 - March 12-16 Hilton Head, South Carolina (IEEE-SA Std Bd on 15-17)
  • Year 2001 - July 9-13 Portland, Oregon
  • Year 2001 - Nov 12-16 Austin, Texas

Last Update: 13Oct2000

This report is maintained by Jim Carlo . Comments are welcome.