Re: Chart Due Wed

Jim

Here are some responses

Bob

At 09:40 AM 3/13/01 -0600, Jim Carlo wrote:

Note the following is due Wed, so I can prepare charts for StdBd/802
meeting.

Chair Name, Number of Attendees this meeting

Interaction with the IEEE-SA Staff regarding Standards Process
POSITIVE FEEDBACK
Good points:
-       Open-ness to adopting industry specifications, such a Bluetooth
-       Ownership of, and maintenance of, Standards souce materials, including SDLs
-       Took a position against the ITSO which attempted to manage groups developing industry specifications and by association, labeled those efforts as IEEE approved.

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT
Improvement Points
-       Process is event-driven (gated on meeting times for the SA)
-       Process often hard to understand/communicate to new commers.
-       Difficult to understand the policies regarding ownership and copyright of material submitted for standards. When we asked for help from the IEEE, the response was vague and contradictory. Most damaging was the statement that the IEEE would own executable SDL (required) and would license. This turned out not to be true. (This is my fuzzy recollection, not necessarily fact.)

PLEASE GIVE TO ME BY 5:00PM ON WEDNESDAY

Jim Carlo(jcarlo@ti.com) Cellular:1-214-693-1776 Voice&Fax:1-214-853-5274
TI Fellow, Networking Standards at Texas Instruments
Vice Chair, IEEE-SA Standards Board
Chair, IEEE802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee

Bob Heile
Chair, IEEE 802.15 Working Group on Wireless Personal Area Networks
11 Louis Road
Attleboro, MA  02703
Phone: 508-222-1393
Mobile: 781-929-4832