Re: WPAN/ RE: WLAN/ Agenda for July Meeting

Bob O'Hara wrote:

> Ivan,
>
> I think you are being much too paranoid for your own (or our) good.
> Certainly if your credit card is going to be compromised, it is much more
> likely to be done by a dishonest employee that has a hard copy of the credit
> card number from a receipt of a purchase at their store, than it is to be
> recovered from a 128-bit encrypted packet on the internet.  I would also ask
> you why you feel safer having your credit card stored in a Windows 98 PC
> connected to the internet (at Face to Face Events), than in an encrypted
> server at one of the more respected security companies in the world.

I didn't think Versign was a respected security company.  They do some
simple key escrow stuff, but I haven't heard much about them regarding
security.

In any event, the computer at Verisign is much more likely to be subject
to cracking attempts than the computer at Face to Face events since it
contains more information that is valuable.

Does F2F store their credit card data on a computer without any sort of
firewall?  (That would be bad.)  Chances are they have some type of
firewall, possibly as good as the one at Verisign.

The real question is, will either one (F2F or Verisign) assume any
liability?  If not, then you have no guarantee either way.

BTW: The new digital signature laws make you liable for actions taken
with your digital signature, even if it was stolen.  So while the curent
laws provide some protection for the consumer (e.g. using a credit card
with a dishonest server), the new digital laws (UCITA, DMCA, digital
signature, etc.) tend to remove this protection when the consumer goes
online.  We should think carefully about using our cards on the net.

IMHO

James Gilb

--------