[802SEC] FW: BOUNCE stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org: Non-member submission from [k.mccabe@ieee.org]

Forwarded for Karen McCabe.

 -Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 6:49 AM
To: owner-stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: BOUNCE stds-802-sec@majordomo.ieee.org: Non-member submission from
[k.mccabe@ieee.org]

From owner-stds-802-sec@ieee.org Tue Feb  5 09:49:14 2002
Subject: Re: Non-member submiss ion from [k.mccabe@ieee.org]
To: Geoff Thompson <gthompso@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
From: k.mccabe@ieee.org
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:37:28 -0500

Geoff,
I have followed up with Claudio Stanziola, our staff IP Manager and who
works closely with IEEE-SA and IEEE legal counsel. We are abiding by the
guidance/advise of our legal counsel regarding the placement and use of the
[TM]. With this, we have been advised to use the [TM] as I stated in my
original email, e.g. IEEE 802.16.2 [TM].

Karen

Karen McCabe
Senior Marketing Manager, IEEE Standards
445 Hoes Lane, PO Box 1331
Piscataway NJ 08855 USA
PH: +1 732 562 3824
email: k.mccabe@ieee.org
http://standards.ieee.org

                    Geoff Thompson

                    <gthompso@nortelnet       To:     k.mccabe@ieee.org

                    works.com>                cc:
<stds-802-sec@ieee.org>
                                              Subject:     Re: Non-member
submiss ion from [k.mccabe@ieee.org]
                    02/04/2002 04:34 PM

Karen-

RE your statement: "It should have been IEEE 802.16.2[TM]."

I do not believe that this is correct.
According to my searches of the PTO database on the web, there is no
registered trademark that matches this.
Therefore, I believe that the TM symbol should not be used as you have
designated.

It is my understanding that if you wish to express trademark registration
for the term "802" then the [tm] mark must be expressed immediately to the
right of the registered mark, not some number of characters later.
Thus Coca-Cola Six Pack[tm] doesn't cover Coca-Cola, but rather would be
proper only if the entire phrase "Coca-Cola Six Pack" had been successfully

registered, otherwise Coca-Cola[tm] Six Pack is what it takes.

Geoff