[802SEC] policy on Closing SEC Meeting schedule

Roger and the rest of the SEC members,

After going back through the SEC meeting minutes into March of 2001, I note
that Howard Frazier did request a rules change to remove references to
Monday and Thursday SEC meetings that was approved by the SEC (see the SEC
minute thread below).  I dropped the ball--I was responsible for issuing a
rules change ballot on this item after the March 2001 meeting and didn't.
This has resulted in the ad-hoc setting of the Friday closing meetings which
has caused the problem we are dealing with now.  I apologize for causing
this confusion.

I recommend the following:

1) In deference to the working groups that have already budgeted using
Friday morning for working group business, we set the closing plenary
meeting for March 2002 to be from 1PM-6PM.

2) In deference to SEC members (like Roger) that may need to leave by 5pm
Friday afternoon, we restrict the SEC agenda items to Discussion Topics and
Information Items between 5PM and 6PM.

3) I will have a 'closing meeting time' rules change discussion 7pm-8pm
Sunday evening before the start of the March 2002 plenary.

4) I put a MI on the agenda of the Monday morning SEC meeting in March "to
set the closing SEC meeting time for July 2002"

5) Follow through on the March 2001 SEC directive to initiate a rules change
ballot on the opening&closing meeting times at the end of the March 2002
Plenary.

--Paul

FROM THE March 2001 Monday SEC meeting (Hilton Head)
5.14 Move the Closing SEC meeting to Friday - Frazier
Frazier presents proposed text of rules change.
5.1.5.2.3 Executive Committee Representation
The chair of a hibernating Working Group may retain voting rights on the
LMSC Executive Committee for three LMSC Plenary meetings after the WG has
hibernated:
a) if the hibernating WG chair was the active WG chair when the WG
hibernated, and
b) if the hibernating WG chair maintains attendance as per Retention
(5.1.3.2) with attendance at both the <<DELETE<Monday>>> opening and
<<DELETE<Thursday>>> closing Executive meeting required for Plenary meeting
attendance.
Procedure 5
PROCEDURE FOR LIMITING THE LENGTH OF THE IEEE LMSC EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
MEETINGS
7. <<<DELETE<The Monday morning and Thursday evening Executive Committee
meetings during the Plenary session shall end no later than 10:30AM on
Monday morning and at midnight on Thursday evening.>>>
The opening Executive Committee meeting shall have a duration of no greater
than 2.5 hours. The closing Executive Committee meeting shall have a
duration of no greater than 5 hours.

Carlo entertains motion to
Move closing SEC meeting to Friday from 8:00am to 1:00 pm effective at the
July, 2001 meeting, and initiate rules change to effect this change.
Frazier/Jeffree
Grow says that having been a voting member in dot3, dot5, dot6, dot11, he
observes that every WG needs more task force meeting time.
Marks passes on comment from his WG members who feel that it would be more
difficult to attend closing SEC meeting if it was held on Friday morning.
Rigsbee speaks in support of motion. It would give the meeting planning
staff and the Exec Sec'y more time to prepare financial data.
9/1/0 Approved

FROM THE March 2001 Friday meeting (Hilton Head)
4.29 II July Closing SEC meeting - Carlo
Move the SEC meeting to 4-8pm on Friday in July.
Marks/Hayes
9/2/0

FROM THE July 2001 Monday 8-10:30AM meeting (Portland) MINUTES
5.00 II Meeting Week Schedule - IEEE 802 - CARLO
Friday SEC meeting moved to 3-7pm. Paul asks for input on rules change to
set closing SEC meeting time.
5.01 MI SEC Friday Meeting Time - CARLO
Friday SEC meeting is 3-7pm.

FROM THE July 2001 Friday 3-7PM meeting (Portland) MINUTES
4.18 MI November Closing SEC Meeting - Carlo 5 06:08 PM
Discussion: We will need a Sunday meeting for the rules change issue.
Suggestion is to have a meeting from 1-5pm.
Comment: Surprised at how badly this meeting has gone. Doubt that moving the
meeting to 1pm will make it any better. Suggestion: 3-7 (x2), 8am - noon.
Comment: if the SEC meeting is on Friday morning, this means that SEC
committee meetings could be held Thursday evening.
Poll: 8-12: 5, 3-7:3, 1-5:0
Meeting time will be: 3pm to 7pm, since WGs are already planning on using
the mornings for meetings.

FROM THE November 2001 Monday 8-10:30AM meeting (Austin)
5.00 DT Schedule for week and Friday Plenary (3pm - 7pm) - Carlo 5 08:20 AM