[802SEC] notes from Public Relations meeting

Yesterday, when I walked into the SEC meeting room for the Public
Relations meeting, Paul asked me to be the 802 PR "contact point". I
agreed (though I later told Paul that I can't commit to continuing on
this until I check with my employer regarding an issue). In any case,
I took some notes from the meeting.

We had Karen McCabe (Senior Marketing Manager, IEEE Standards) and
(Michael Bratnick of CoreCom, a contracted PR firm) on the line. We
agreed on the importance of Karen's four points in her note below.
The plan is to continue with the 802 News Bulletin, while pushing in
some other areas. We noted that many of us hadn't seen the first
bulletin, which is at:
	http://standards.ieee.org/802news/IEEE_SA2.html

On the News Bulletin front, we would like to be able to issue it
right after each Plenary. The idea is that reporters who pick up
corporate press releases after the Plenary should learn to confirm
the accuracy in the Bulletin (and essentially be embarrassed if they
publish something contradicting this readily-available source).
Furthermore, the news itself can become outdated if we delay; for
example, last time we talked about the expectation of Standard Board
approvals, but the Standard Board actions were over by the time the
Bulletin went out.

We discussed the need to update the Bulletin during the four months
that it is current, updating the facts and adding links to news from
interim meetings. Michael was amenable.

To be timely, Micheal and Karen would like a preview of our major
items 10-14 says in advance. We agreed that this would be especially
important for any draft press releases. I also described the 802.16
process. For a few years, we have posted a report immediately after
each session. We preview a draft of it at our Opening Plenary, and we
finalize it (pending edits) at the Closing Plenary. As the PR
"contact point", I like to ask the other Working Groups to consider a
similar process. For a sample, see:
	http://ieee802.org/16/meetings/mtg17/report.html
While Michael could pick up his main material right from here, he
wouldn't generally get finished material, because the News Bulletin
is for a broader audience that may need less detail and more
explanation.

The Bulletin was distributed to a list that Michael assembled (800
people, I think). We can send them additional names. There was a lot
of talk about assembling an "A list" subset of these names who better
understand the issue. They might get more detailed information. There
was also an extended discussion about holding regular conference
calls with them.

We discussed the fact that the session results make sense only if you
understand the background. We talked about the need for a page on the
802 web site aimed at the general public. It could include:
-an explanation of 802 overall
-a summary of what the various standards address and how they relate
to each other
-a summary of the process, with a flow diagram and an emphasis on
defining terms (so that, for example, people can have a reference to
understand a News Bulletin item such as "Draft X was approved for
Working Group Letter Ballot")
-project descriptions ("backgrounders"), timelines, and news. It was
agreed that a good system would include links to pages that would be
maintained directly by Working Group, though format consistency would
be encouraged. A good backgrounder should address the technology and
its potential economic impact.

We discussed the need to develop a way to address alliances. People
mainly voiced the view that it is OK for IEEE to refer to acknowledge
action by alliances that support IEEE standards. In general, we would
like to see 802 announcing the news and alliances announcing support
for 802 actions.

Michael offered to find out the name of the font used in the graphics
of the 802 News Bulletin so he could use it for a compatible look.

Roger