Re: [802SEC] Re: OID arcs & procedures

Tony-

It seems to me that this should go into the next revision of the 802
Overview and Architecture with appropriate pointers to web pages where the
most up to date table can be found. Rationale being that this is technical
material.

In addition, it would seem that adherence to this procedure would need to
added to the 802 Five Criteria.

I believe that the current situation, due largely to obscurity of this
issue and lack of communication, is that 802.3 cleaned up its situation of
mixed use but became consistent in the wrong direction.

It should be further noted in your treatise that it is perfectly acceptable
(and much more desirable than actually changing things) to have multiple
root paths into the "pile of leaves", that is:
         {iso(1)member-body(2)us(840)ieee802dot3(10006)csmacdmgt(30)attribut
{iso(1)member-body(2)us(840)ieee802dot3(10006)csmacdmgt(30)attribute(7)frame
sTransmittedOK(2)};
gets you to exactly the same uniquely defined point as:
         {iso(1) std(0) iso8802(8802)
csma(3)csmacdmgt(30)attribute(7)framesTransmittedOK(2)};
it is only a matter of whether you are going from London to Edinburgh via
Manchester or York.

Is it your intention to act on this via a e-mail ballot of the SEC or put
it on the agenda for action in July?

Geoff