RE: [802SEC] +++SEC Rules Change Letter Ballot +++Ballot on WGelectronic voting

Disapprove, with the following comments:

The rules currently provide two type of voting in WGs: (1) Voting at
Meetings, and (2) Voting by Letter Ballot. The proposed rules change
tries to develop the electronic voting procedure as an extension of
"Voting at Meetings". I see a lot of problems with this, mainly
related to the formation and amendment of the motion. It's hard to
extend the checks and balances from the meeting room to the email
reflector.

Instead, I think we should address the issue by modifying the second
voting alternative: the Letter Ballot. We understand Letter Ballots,
and the rules to support them already exist. Furthermore, the current
rules already distinguish between two kinds of Letter Ballots: (a)
submitting a draft to Sponsor Ballot, and (b) "other matters"... "at
the discretion of the Working Group Chair". So we can simply and
effectively address the problem at hand simply by specifying a
different duration for the "other matters".

My current suggestion is simply to change:

"The letter ballot response time must be at least forty days from the
time of "sending" postmark to the postmark of the returned ballot."

to the following:

"For a decision to submit a draft to the Sponsor Ballot Group, the
letter ballot response time must be at least forty days from the time
of "sending" postmark to the postmark of the returned ballot. The
letter ballot may also be conducted by electronic means; in this
case, the response time is reduced to thirty days. For recirculation
ballots, and for letter ballots not related to the submission of
draft standards, the response time must be at least fifteen days, or
ten days when conducted by electronic means."

[I've tossed in a shorter time for recirculation ballots, since we
don't define that elsewhere.]

Also, in 5.1.3.4 ("The rights of the Working Group members include
the following:"), change

d) To vote by mail on drafts to be submitted to the Sponsor Ballot Group.

d) To vote in Working Group Letter Ballots.

Also, in 5.1.3.3, change:

Membership may be lost if two of the last three Working Group letter
ballots are not returned, or are returned with an abstention other
than "lack of technical expertise."

by inserting the words in brackets:

Membership may be lost if two of the last three Working Group letter
ballots [regarding draft standards] are not returned, or are returned
with an abstention other than "lack of technical expertise."

Roger