RE: [802SEC] views on quorums at WG Interim Sessions

Bob,

I appreciate that 802.3 has a different tradition regarding interim
meetings than do the other active WGs. I think there is much to be
said for that approach, and it certainly fits within the current
rules. I hope you will also appreciate that the rules are indeed a
problem for WGs that wish to take other approaches.

Here's an example. At our May interim, 802.16 took the following actions:

*forwarding a PAR to the SEC
*initiating two WG Letter Ballots on draft standards
*approving two letters drafted by 802.18
*approving two liaison letters
*choosing the site of a future WG interim session
*approving a publicity piece

This is important and significant WG business. We would have been
seriously hampered if these issues needed to be delayed until July.

Were these decisions made by a bunch of loose cannons
unrepresentative of the WG? Hardly. 51.5% of the members attended our
March Plenary, and 49.6% attended the May interim. Had we not
previously approved a WG Letter Ballot to permit the WG "carry out
Working Group business", the rules (according to some
interpretations) would have prohibited us from doing anything but
voting to adjourn.

Is there fear among the members that our process will be highjacked
at an interim session? Hardly. The WG Letter Ballot authorizing us to
go ahead without a quorum passed by vote of 95-5. Of the five
Disapprove voters, three specifically said that their Disapprove was
based only on the fact that the Closing Plenary was on Friday instead
of Thursday.

The bottom line here is that some WGs feel the need to meet six times
a year, rather than three, and that the current rules impose a lot of
hassle and uncertainty. I hope that the SEC members, regardless of
what kind of schedules they prefer, will look at the issue from a
broad perspective and accept that we do have a problem. If so, I
think we can find a solution.

Regards,

Roger