From: Stevenson, Carl R (Carl) [mailto:carlstevenson@agere.com]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 6:27 AM
To: IEEE 802 SEC Reflector (E-mail)
Subject: [802SEC] FW: IEEE article - good and bad

Dear SEC members ...

In reading the article summary and the article at the URL,
that came in my personal e-mail from what-new-wireless@ieee.org,
I have some concerns that IEEE press/PR are in some sense
promoting a certain degree of FUD concerning the future of
IEEE 802 wireless standards.

While there is some good, positive material in the article,
the comments of Dewayne Hendricks in particular (at the beginning
of the article) could cause confusion to consumers about the
future of products based on 802 wireless standards, causing
them to hesitate to adopt wireless networking.

Please read the article and see if you share my concerns or if
I am just being overly sensitive ...  if I'm not, what can we
do to exert some influence on what gets published when it may
convey confusing or negative images about the future of 802
wireless standards?

Regards,
Carl R. Stevenson
Chair, IEEE 802.18 Radio Regulatory Technical Advisory Group
610-965-8799 (home office)
610-712-3217 (fax mailbox)
610-570-6168 (cellphone)
Short Message Service: 6105706168@voicestream.net