1982 says 30 days

Do you have definitive reference that is later?

Geoff

At 11:41 AM 2/6/2003 -0700, pat_thaler@agilent.com wrote:
There actually was in the past a rule about recirculation ballot duration, but it wasn't in the 802 rules. It was in the IEEE Standards Operations Manual. Around the time that the SA was created, they were trying to give groups more latitude to speed the process they took the time period out. 802 rules didn't have time durations for sponsor ballot because that was adequately controlled by IEEE Standards rules at the time they were created.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Grow, Bob [mailto:bob.grow@intel.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 10:06 AM
To: Geoff Thompson; Roger B. Marks
Cc: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Ballot periods

Geoff:

I agree.  My assumption is that a WG chair has no authority to pick a shorter ballot period than that specified in the rules.  The WG Chair isn't the sponsor, (as IEEE staff has so clearly pointed out to me in doing a PAR presubmission).  I know of no explicit delegation of sponsor authority that allows the WG Chair to pick their own ballot periods, etc.  My assumption is the ballot center is giving 802 WG Chairs significant freedom based on history.  Until recently, WG Chairs have followed the traditional policy, using the same periods that were specified for WG ballots.

--Bob Grow