Re: [802SEC] +++ SEC EMAIL BLLOT +++ MOTION: Authorize the Link Security Exec SG to become an 802.1 SG

Hello Tony-

Nice to see you weighing in on the discussion.

I apologize if my statement about MAC-oriented working groups caused
confusion -- I was not referring to .1 in that context.  There had been some
early discussion about placement of the SG -- one of the options being
proposed was to potentially put it in .3 or .11.  The comments I made in my
initial e-mail were two-fold: first, that the deck appeared to be stacked
with .1 players, and; second, that I was afraid that the SG might wind up in
a MAC-oriented WG.  These were separate concerns, but I see now how they
could have been lumped together and give the impression that I was including
.1 in the latter concern.

You raise a good point about the .10 charter currently being limited to
answering questions about our security standards and providing maintenance,
as necessary.  My opinion in my e-mail to the Exec is that I believe that
any PAR created by the study group should be placed in .10, which would have
the effect of modifying our charter.  While it is true that we are
hibernating, the body of security expertise that .10 brought together to
develop our set of standards is still available and some of them will,
hopefully, be able to support a new security effort.  Like I also stated, it
is a very unfortunate situation that we are in because of funding, that I'm
unable to guarantee our participation.  The reality is that we are stuck
between the proverbial "rock and a hard place" in trying to do what we
believe is best for 802 security and, at the same time, trying not to put
802 in a bind if it turns out that we can't fully participate.  If .10 is
able to come out of hibernation and our members are able to support the new
security effort, we would certainly encourage and welcome the participation
of the .1 security engineers, as well as those from other working groups.
There are a lot of "ifs" and I certainly don't want to mislead anyone about
the probability of our continued participation.  Right now the funding
situation is looking better, but the timing might not permit me to attend
the March plenary.  I believe Russ will be there in any event though.

We have always been able to work well together in the past for the
betterment of our standards and I'm sure that we will continue to do so in
the future, no matter what the outcome of this particular issue.

Respectfully,

Ken