From: Jim Lansford [mailto:jim.lansford@mobilian.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 12:50 PM
To: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Some Thoughts on 802.20 Elections

SEC Members,
	I generally agree with Mike...
1) Experience has never been listed as a requirement for office.  Maybe
it
should be, but it isn't currently.
2) Changing the rules retroactively for initial voting membership is out
of
bounds, in my opinion.  We have elaborate rules for gaining voting
rights
after formation, but initial rights are not consistent with that - we
need
to fix it, but it's too late for 802.20.  There is "organizational
inertia"
built into the system over time, but the initial conditions are the
problem.
3) Voting questions are legitimate to raise, and a secret ballot doesn't
give us any insight into how the voters aligned.  If Geoff runs a
roll-call
ballot with the same voter pool, these questions can be put to rest.

  I think Geoff's credibility and a solid audit trail can hopefully get
this
behind us with a minimum of damage.

Best regards,
Jim