From: Sherman,Matthew J (Matthew)
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2003 4:19 PM
To: 'Mike Takefman'; stds-802-sec@cisco.com
Subject: RE: [802SEC] The 802.20 election procedure for July

Mike,

First off, I'm not saying I would not support what you suggest.  I'm
fishing to see if there are any other ideas.  The only thing that I am
uncomfortable with is that really it is voting per company all the time,
and never per an individual.  If you check both ways and get the same
answer, then you keep it.  But when you check both ways and get
different answers, the company way always wins.  So really you are
always voting per company since that way is the only way that is always
right.  Strictly speaking, I'm not sure this is what we want to do.
Also, sometimes the problem is not individual companies, but rather
industry organizations.  There is no control in what you suggest for
that.

In my mind, what you propose should be used as a check.  If there is a
"problem", you evaluate the situation to see if you can work it out.  If
not, you bump it up to the LMSC and let them evaluate the situation.
Possibly you decide the first voting process was fine (confirm) or
possibly you decided there was a potential problem (don't confirm).
Then you may take any of several approaches, including design of a more
rigorous voting process.  I lean toward modeling something after the
sponsor ballot process which is very open as to the approach used.
Maybe up to two votes per company.  Maybe have participants state their
involvement in other organizations.  Anyway, I'm on a fence about
exactly what to do.  Nothing I see right now is perfect, which is why
I'm trying to set back and see what people suggest. Then go with the
best suggestion (even if it isn't perfect).

By the way, what happens with your process if a single company has
multiple votes on both sides?

Mat

Matthew Sherman
Vice Chair, IEEE 802