Re: [802SEC] +++SEC EMAIL BALLOT+++ Email Ballot: Motion for WG Initial membership interpretation

I vote approve and echo Mike's sentiments

At 09:43 AM 4/21/03 -0400, Mike Takefman wrote:

>I vote approve.
>
>While I agree with everything Bill has to say, I believe
>that the common practice in WGs has been to interpret
>things the way Geoff has described. Certainly, when
>I became a new chair, that was the algorithm that was
>described to me.
>
>My suggestion is that we get off our collective posteriors
>and get the retention rules rewritten to age people off
>faster. We tried this once before and we failed to
>achieve concensus. Perhaps this situation will do the
>trick.
>
>mike
>
>Bill Quackenbush wrote:
> >
> > I vote DISAPPROVE.
> >
> > While there is clearly a problem with the LMSC P&P in the area of WG
> > membership retention when the membership is acquired by attendance at
> > the first session of a new WG, this proposed solution has a very
> > undesirable and unnecessary side effect.
> >
> > The EC already observed that there is a problem with the time it takes
> > for the current membership retention policy to remove membership from
> > inactive members (it takes too long).  This proposal will allow an
> > individual who attends a SINGLE session of the new WG to remain a member
> > of that WG for a year without ever attending another session.
> > Especially in light of the current problem of removing membership from
> > inactive members, this proposed interpretation/solution makes NO sense
> > to me and is clearly not desirable.
> >
> > There is a simpler way of dealing with the issue without this ugly side
> > effect.  Change the motion to:
> >
> > Section 5.1.3.2 which reads
> >
> >         "Membership is retained by participating in at least two of the
> >         last four Plenary session meetings. One duly constituted interim
> >         Working Group or task group meeting may be substituted for one of
> >         the two Plenary meetings."
> >
> > shall be interpreted as reading
> >
> >         "Membership is retained by participating in at least two of the
> >         last four Plenary sessions. One duly constituted interim
> >         Working Group or task group meeting may be substituted for one of
> >         the two Plenary meetings.  This retention policy shall not be
> >         applied to members of a new Working Group who acquired their
> >         membership by attending the first session of the new Working Group
> >         until after the closing of the first Plenary session immediately
> >         following the first session of the new Working Group.  Membership
> >         in a new Working Group that is obtained in this manner is
> >         automatically retained through the first Plenary session
> >         immediately following the first session of the new
> Working      Group."
> >
> > This approach has the following advantages
> >
> >         1) It eliminates the absurdity of the current policy that gives
> >         membership for participation at the first session and then
> >         immediately cancels that membership after the first session as the
> >         participation requirement of the retention policy cannot be met.
> >
> >         2) It preserves the membership of those who continue to participate
> [...]

Bob Heile, Ph.D
Chair, IEEE 802.15 Working Group on Wireless Personal Area Networks
Chair, ZigBee Alliance
11 Louis Road
Attleboro, MA  02703   USA
Phone: 508-222-1393