From: Roger B. Marks [mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 1:13 PM
To: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject: [802SEC] Ethernet Retrospective for July Plenary <http://ieee802.org/secmail/msg03794>

Here is a relevant and entertaining factoid from Rich Seifert's "The
Switch Book: The Complete Guide to LAN Switching Technology":
    http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471345865.html
    [Great book, by the way]:

"In February 1980, a meeting was held at the Jack Tar Hotel in San
Francisco, California, to discuss the development of an industry
standard for Local Area Networks. That meeting (and many others
subsequent to it) spawned the creation of IEEE Project 802, one of
the largest and longest-running activities within the IEEE standards
organization...

  I was at that meeting. The Jack Tar Hotel no longer exists (the
Cathedral Hill Hotel is now located at the same site), but the IEEE
802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee does. Interestingly, although much of
the constituency of the IEEE 802 committee comes from Northern
California (Silicon Valley), that first meeting was the only time
that a full IEEE 802 (plenary) session was held anywhere in the San
Francisco Bay Area. It's much more fun to travel to Maui, Montreal,
New Orleans, and the like than to stay at home and work."

Roger